Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Legalize marijuana!

I am all about legalizing weed. In fact, I would probably help campaign for it. The fact that it is not legal makes absolutely no sense. NONE! All arguments are false. For the record, I have never smoked weed in my life and probably never will. But our last 3 presidents definitely have, and one of them even admits to using cocaine. If I had it my way all drugs would be legal in some regulated fashion but that is another story.

It is simply absurd that alcohol and cigarettes are legal but not marijuana. I have been around all three heavily in my lifetime. Weed is definitely the best of the three. Weed doesn't damage your liver or lungs. Weed isn't addictive. There is no serious withdrawal affects. Alcohol related crimes are way higher than weed. I've rarely seen an angry high person, but I frequently see angry and violent drunks. That kourage koolaid ain't nothing to play with. Yet, weed is the one that is not legal.

Some have the argument that weed is a gateway drug. Bullshit. Most people I know that smoke don't do more than smoke. They don't get high as much as I see smokers toting. Hell, if anything is a gateway it is alcohol or cigarettes. I don't know a single cheefer that doesn't smoke cigarettes or drink, or have done those at some point in the past. The gates are opened with either alcohol or cigarettes.

Financial considerations. How much money could we bring in if we taxed weed like we do cigarettes and alcohol? A ridiculous amount. How much would we save from not having to prosecute, monitor, and incarcerate? Another large sum. Maybe we wouldn't be losing lives at the borders in Mexico right now. How would the peace pipe help negotiations with our leaders? But seriously, if weed was legal right now in America it would easily be in the top 5 agricultural products out there. At first there may be some cost to crack down on your neighborhood dealer, but eventually that would go away. I mean, why buy it illegally and risk trouble when it is right at the corner store? How often do we go get moonshine now?

Then comes the kids. Whatever. Beer commercials are everywhere. They say kids who smoke do worse in school. How many of those did bad before they started smoking? They don't tell that stat though. I understand there are studies that show weed affects a developing brain just like alcohol and most other drugs would. Weed makes people lazy. This is one of the things I tend to believe from what I've seen. But really, those people were just as lazy before they started smoking. We have already seen you can make it to the highest office after smoking weed. Entertainers smoke. Some of the richest and brightest people in the world smoke. Hell, our president can't quit smoking cigarettes but he stopped smoking weed.

I truly don't get all the high and mighty feeling about weed being so bad. If someone can give me some good reasons why it is not then I am willing to listen. Only reason I can think of is that the government hasn't figured out a good way to control it and tax it.

No comments: