Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chi-town! Olympics! Give me a break.

Chicago should be ashamed of themselves. I hear about all this corruption in Chicago and I guess that is to be expected considering their history (Al Capone and cats like that). But really, the all out push for the Olympics? First family pushing it? How about all of you push to protect the kids in the city. Put money and time into that. Which is more important? This really pisses me off with all the talk about the Olympics when the beating of an innocent kid is simultaneously in the news from the same city. Doing a quick google search, I see this is no big deal for the Chi. It happens 20+ times a year. Why would you want the Olympics to come there when you can't take care of your own?

I guess, if they win this could get infrastructure improvements which all would benefit from. Although, I think it would stick to the nicer part of town, or eventually lead to moving a certain segment of society away for a more affluent segment to move in. But the increased exposure could make for more emphasis on the problems of the school age kids. Surely no one wants to look bad. But maybe these changes would only be cosmetic, just dressing up for the Olympics.

It just really saddens me the things I just skimmed through about Chicago. And Chicago is not the only city with these problems, just the one in the news until the next story comes along. With that story, we will move on and forget about that situation. The candlelight vigil will be held somewhere else.

No comments: