Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Is the dream achieved?

With recent events, the election of Obama, I have noticed many people saying Dr. King's dream has been achieved. That, according to the speech that I read, is not the dream. It may serve as a nice symbol or moment to point to in order to show the dream has been achieved but that is it. I actually thought the dream had been achieved for years now. After recent conversations and things I have heard or read, I believe that maybe I was naive in my thoughts. When I read that speech last week I took from it that the dream Dr. King had in mind was one of equality for all people. Equality that equates to opportunity in all facets of life. So if by some miracle, McCain had won this past election would not the dream still have been achieved? I believe so.

I bring this up because in a sense I believe this does a disservice to what Dr. King and others fought for. The main focus was definitely in regards to black and white relations, yet the idea of the dream is all inclusive.

So I thought to myself, have I felt held back because of my color? Have I ever felt I couldn't do something because I was black? No. Did I feel it may be more difficult? Yes. Was that an accurate feeling that I have? No one can say, but it is definitely how I have felt. But that feeling has only motivated me to work harder so why not carry that with me? The thing to me is that we carry these burdens along with us in life and they affect us. How can we leave racism (and yes I know that blacks can't technically be racist but you get the point) behind and move forward if we continue to carry it? I've experienced some racism and I have probably made other things into racism that were not. Racism does exist, but not in everyone.

What we need to do in this country is stop being afraid to talk candidly about race with each other. I heard today the new attorney general say words along this train of thought. How can you understand another race if you don't communicate open and honestly with them? People are afraid to say how they feel or think and say why. If you are white and you think blacks are lazy, then say that and back it up with why you feel that way. If you are black and you think whites try and hold you down or whatever, then express that. Have these conversations with people of all races but be respectful of the other persons opinion. The goal would not be to change ones thoughts but to give them food for thought. It may not hit either of you for days after the conversation. Wouldn't you rather know where a person is coming from whether than speculate and have that affect the way you view a person? I talk with my coworkers about things such as my conversation about church with them. Since then I have really had a better understanding of how others may think, and at the same time I realized some things about myself. This is growth. Government can't force race relations to go any farther than they have. We all work together in diverse environments, but away from work how diverse is your life? Do you worship with other races? Invite a mix of races into your home at the same time?

It would be nice if we continue to move forward toward truly achieving Dr. King's dream. Take the dream further than he ever imagined.

1 comment:

Jamesha said...

...waiting on you to give your opinion of the N.Y. Post situation...can't wait to hear what your point of view is...should be interesting.