Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Scrooge

This is by far the most pointless holiday there is every year. When it rolls around my eyes roll right around with it. Does anyone even know who this Valentine is supposed to be? Well, I read up a few years back and basically there is no one guy. Hallmark and friends did a great job of ballooning this day into what it has become. Kids want cards and candy so they don't feel left out at school, women want flowers to show off or feel loved, and men are stuck trying to do something just to keep the peace in their relationship. So tomorrow some will perform grand gestures, some small and thought, and others the simple flower, candy and dinner routine. I am usually one to say that things go both ways, but this day is completely driven by women's desire for some "romance" or sign of love on this day. Society has brainwashed many women into thinking their man has to do something on this day if he truly cares. In fact, many women understand the silliness of this concept but still can't help wanting something on Valentine's day or they will feel slighted in some way.

Now I am pretty sappy and romantic for the average guy, but I refuse to be told when to show my love. I'd rather show mine year round. If you only get treated well or shown romance on Valentines Day (or bday, christmas, etc...) then you have a problem in your relationship anyways. Everything the day supposedly stands for should be shown 365 no just for one 24. Another problem I see in this whole holiday is that I think many people have romance built up into this whole grand thing. Romance doesn't have to be what you see on tv or in the movies. Romance is what you and your partner make it. Take a walk, cook a meal, read a book, hold hands, etc... Recognize the things your partner does that make you feel loved. Don't take those things for granted. Things like keeping up the lawn, keeping the cars clean and running, paying bills, listening to you, massages, telling you how nice you look when you don't feel that way, and all the things you know he does because he knows you like it. You have all these little things then you really have so much.

Maybe I am crazy or weird, but let me explain some of the things that are sexy and romantic to me. This also may make me sexist or old fashioned but in my best Redman voice, "I'll be that!" My girl cooking a meal for me, fixing my plate, giving me a pedicure, rubbing my head, working out, damn I love a woman that works out, keeps up her appearance, watches the game with me, ... man I'm getting a little excited thinking about this stuff. Oh and a woman that knows when I don't feel like talking and just leaves me be (shuts up). Well that really doesn't exist but I'm hoping some woman remembers that and her man benefits.

I know this will be read after the holiday goes by but I hope no one is disappointed and enjoys themselves regardless. Ladies stop expecting gifts during this inflated price period (yeah I'm cheap but 70 bucks for flowers that die in 3 days is dumb). Expect and recognize love you get everyday in your relationship.

1 comment:

Jamesha said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, SCROOGE!!!!!