Monday, March 9, 2009

Infedelity - A moral question.

I've always wondered if you know of someone cheating should you tell? Most people hat I have talked to about this say no it's not your place. Yet depending on the situation and your relation to the cheater could or could not make a difference for you. Then there is always the question of whether you would want a friend to tell you if someone was cheating on you. Part of me says that a real friend would ell you and that friendship would survive. I mean, how would you feel if you found out later that they knew and didn't tell you? You need proof? Well with these damn camera phones you can be caught up in minutes.

Really I just wanted to pose a situation that I caught wind of from someone. Hearing the story made me realize we all have some moral line that exists for us and where that line lies differs. Basically, let's say that your close friend is dating a married person. They are in fact openly dating this person. Often when you and your friend hang out the married person they are dating shows up. So you basically end up hanging out with them. What would you do?

Now I have to say that I feel pretty strongly about marriage and being faithful. If I ever get married, I hope that I don't go down that road. First off though, I hope that no one I consider a close friend would be in this type of situation. I think that it would make me question their morals and whether this is the type of person I want as a close friend. I mean, if you have a friend hat you know is a thief, do you remain their friend? A drug dealer? All depends on your moral line. My friend would be getting a mouthful from me on a regular basis about them dating someone who is married. Furthermore, all that overlapping of time with the married person and the times we hang out would have to stop. Or we would have to stop hanging out, if I still wanted to be around the person.

Maybe I sound like I'm above this behavior, but I'm not. I myself have cheated. Yet some forms of cheating are harder for me to stomach. My moral cheating line is crossed when someone does it repeatedly as if they are not in a relationship or if you basically have a relationship with multiple people who are unaware you have multiple girlfriends. But a simple vacation fling or similar, while it is wrong, I wouldn't question our friendship or want to tell on you. In the end I'm not sure when if ever I would tell. Never have. I had a friend tell me my girl was cheating once, and I never was mad at him. So maybe I should be like that.

No comments: