Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What is In a walk?

So the last couple of weeks I've been watching how men walk. This may say something about me, but it was spurned on by this black man that works in my building. This man got the coolest pimp walk. He is on it hard. Player shoulder hits about a 15 degree lean as he walks. Then when he speaks to me he is always like "What up young blood!" That is some classic ish for you right there. The other event that got me going was watching President Obama walk into a basketball game a month or so ago. This all got me to thinking whether or not this was just a black man's thing? The pimp walk, swagger, strut, ...

Of course I had to do some in field observation. Unfortunately I mainly work around whites in the building I'm in. I've also looked while out and about. The conclusion I have come to is that white men have a much stiffer walk. No real style to it. A couple had a little swagger but overall most didn't. A couple of Asians I saw really had no swagger either. I only have a small sample space to go off of.

So where does this come from? Me personally, I remember perfecting me a stride back in my younger day. Just thought it was cool or the thing to do. Had to have a little hitch in your stride you know. It's real funny cause I have had people ask if something was wrong with my leg! Cracks me up thinking about it. Now though, it is almost like a natural thing. Caught myself in the yard the other day just dapping like I was walking through the club or something. And I know when I feel good or feel like I'm dressed open casket fresh, I'm walking around like I'm the ish! Like Kanye, can't tell me nuthin'.

I've come to see that women notice this kind of thing. My Aunt tells me I walk just like my pops. So is this just a black man thing or what?

No comments: