Sunday, January 11, 2009

Is heaven segregated?

I know it sounds outrageous and ridiculous because surely heaven is not. But look at society today. Where and when is the country most segregated? Sunday morning at church. So if we Christians don't interact and mix here on earth with our religion, and we hopefully will make it to heaven, will our souls behave differently? This question is more of a look at a way we worship rather than something I'm concerned with a true answer to. But if a good answer is there I love to hear it.

The division in church became apparent to me at a young age but I just accepted it because it was what I knew and grew up in. Then I read a book given to me by a coworker that breached the topic and got my mind going again. Also yesterday I had a conversation with my coworkers about this (I love working with Christians who are open with their faith by the way). That conversation started off Republican/Democrat talked but evolved into this. I will recap that conversation in the next entry because I found it to also be very interesting and maybe you will as well.

I really can't think of a "good" reason for the separation of race in church. I have attended white churches, Puerto Rican churches, etc... and they have all be friendly and invited me to come back and worship with them again. The fact that I/we can at times even label churches, as _____ church says a lot to me. So is it about our comfort? The style of church? A refuge from a racist or integrated society? Around people who look like us we can then be ourselves? Or is it just nice to be around people that look like you?

The Bible, according to this book, does not speak of race but rather of nations and groups of people based on geography and ancestry. We have taken those descriptive differences and run with them. We are all God's children, yet we choose not to worship in a manner that reflects that. So then are Christians racist on some low or unconscious level? Churches have historically preached and justified racist attitudes with justification from their Biblical interpretations. At those periods good Christians somehow believed these preachings. In hindsight we can see how absurd some of those things were. Will the future look back at the division in church now and think the same about us? (Although we are living in the last days and have been since I can remember, at least according to my mom and grandmother).

If we are to be a beacon of God, what our we then showing the world? Surely this is not what He wants. I wonder how many churches consisting predominantly of one race has a pastor of another race? Or when a church searches for a pastor are there any viable candidates outside the churches dominant race? Of all the churches that I have been to, non-denominational churches seem to be the most progressive when it comes to the racial mixture of the congregation. (Non-denominational - Ummm.., by being non-denominational aren't you a denomination? Really makes no sense. Might as well have a name like Methodist.)

So maybe it is just the style in which we worship. Blacks seem a bit more passionate and interactive than other races, but I have been to churches of other races that were very similar to what I grew up in. After our conversation, my coworker sent me this article:

https://mercury.dynetics.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/08/04/segregated.sundays/index.html%23cnnSTCText

I just think Christians need to work to change this phenomenon. Segregation by color is not of God. If we change, maybe this could bring about change in our attitudes towards each other and spread throughout society. Then again, I'm not sure if that is realistic. At least not in my lifetime.

No comments: