Thursday, January 1, 2009

To the Atheist

Why not God? Is there a better explanation for our existence out there? I certainly don’t know of any. Big Bang and Evolution are a joke to me. When is the last time you saw a monkey/gorilla have a human baby? These explanations are just theories made by man to try and explain what they can’t. But scientists are constantly making theories and then modifying those or disproving them. God is constant, and so is His word.

Simply though, I see it like this. As a believer in God when I die and I have been wrong in my faith what is the worst that can happen? I turn to dust and fertilize a plant some day. But the atheist if proven wrong goes to HELL for eternity. Eternity is a very long time. Seems like an easy choice on what to pick to me.

Furthermore, don’t we all have some of the same fundamental values we would like our kids and ourselves to exemplify? Don’t kill, lie, steal, fornicate, respect elders, etc… Most religions enforce quality values. So why not bring up a child in an environment where people are trying to live with a certain moral code? Especially considering how increasingly liberal society is becoming. Look at all the broken families we have. Church can help fill these gaps. My role models and father figures were men from my church. At least the figures that most would consider to be more positive influences. The youth of today get exposed to more and more each day with all the constant access to information. Why not surround them in an environment that shows a different lifestyle promoting morals, discipline and self-control? Wouldn’t this make for a better society even if you don’t truly believe in God? Let them choose on their own. I wonder though if they don’t believe their parents truly believe, will they?

I wish that everyone believed in God, but that is not realistic. In my eyes, the benefits of believing and practicing faith far outweigh those of not believing. To the atheist, I just ask why not?

No comments: