Thursday, January 1, 2009

Proud to be an American?

I have been hearing this phrase a good bit after the election on radio, tv, and from friends. And honestly it really bothers me. In some instances I’m sure that pride spoken of was there before and the fact that a milestone was reached only made them more proud. But I am also sure that others just developed this pride in America. What the hell? America is far from perfect, but to only now be proud because a multi-racial American is the next president, why? Has America before now not provided us with opportunities and freedoms? Pride should come from the fact that you can openly criticize the government! You can openly practice any religion! It baffles me and angers me when I hear such sentiments. People take for granted what has become expected as the norm in our country. But these rights that we expect here in America, are desired and wished for in many places around the world. It is fine to disagree and be upset with actions the government takes, but to lose pride in our country loses sight of how great this country in fact really is. So if you really think it is so bad or there is better elsewhere, please leave!

If you have lost pride in America, it should be in the citizens of this country. Our apathy will be our downfall. To be the champ and remain the champ, you must work like a champ. This is where I believe we have fallen short. Too many expect the “American” Dream, rather than strive and work for it. Where is our pride in workmanship? Parenting? Education? Our economy and markets depend on the citizens to prosper. Have we done our part to be better than the rest of the world? I don’t think in recent years we have. Citizenship does not afford you 40 acres and a mule, but it gives you the opportunity to go and attain your 40 acres and a mule. Now is the time to wake up and “change” our attitudes. Quality American workers and products. Invest in America, i.e. buy American. Dependency on other countries only weakens ours.

Every American should be proud to be an American. For whites or others out there who may have lost pride because we have a multi-racial president, I feel sorry for you. For blacks and others who feel a sudden pride, I wonder about you. It is a shame to me that blacks suddenly feel like they can do and accomplish things now and haven’t felt that way. But anything that makes my race step up and do better in this country is fine with me.

1 comment:

Dana said...

"Invest in America, i.e. buy American. Dependency on other countries only weakens ours. "...don't you drive a Honda? :-P