Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pro Life / Pro Choice

Abortion seems to be one of the biggest issues out there every time an election rolls around. Seems like Roe v Wade settled all that but I guess not. I have come to find out that many would just like the states to have the choice on deciding whether to allow abortion rather than the federal government. Personally, I don't feel strongly towards either side of the issue. In on sense, having the choice of what to do with your own body seems to be a part of being "free" which this country is supposed to be based upon. However, if you consider abortion murder then that is obviously wrong. I'm not sure when a life is considered a life. It would be interesting to know what the Bible says on this. I guess if I was a better christian I'd know the answer to that question.

For most of my life I was all about pro choice but that was more from a selfish view point. Always thought that if I got someone pregnant that I would want her to not keep the baby. I should have been thinking about that possibility before laying with someone and whether or not I wanted to share a child and relationship with them the rest of my life. With time I have come to change, mainly because I am more mature and in a better position to handle a situation like that. I now feel that a child is a blessing and not a burden. Yet I do not think it is my place to tell someone else what they can do with their body when abortion is legal right now. I also don't like the idea of children coming into this world in certain less than ideal situations (not that any situation is perfect). I do feel strongly that abortion should not be used as a form of birth control. I would say you get no more than two, but that is just some number I pulled out the air. At some point you have to take responsibility for your actions. But for someone who has been raped or molested how do you tell them to go through with that pregnancy? After hearing all the hoopla about Sarah Palin recently and her child who had down syndrome I wanted to learn more about it. Mainly because I thought it was admirable for her to go to term knowing her child would be sick, yet people were telling me it was no big deal and common for women to do this. Turns out that approximately 90% of cases similar to hers end in abortion. Wow! So I did gain more respect for her regardless of whether or not she was in a financial situation to handle that you still have something in your character to go through with that. I'm not sure if I would do the same and obviously a lot of other people would not. As I thought on this it was like where could this abortion thing go as knowledge of detecting diseases early on in pregnance increases? Are we creating a super race? Kind of like Hitler or the Spartans where only the strong survive but without them even making it out of the womb. Something about that just doesn't seem right. You may think I'm way out there, but it is a slippery slope from down syndrome to abortions because a child will be dyslexic or left handed or however frivelous the reason could be. May sound crazy but think about some of the things people do in this world and have done.

My biggest problem with the Pro Life movement is the passion with which they speak on the issue. To me if you are pro life and are passionate about it, then you should be pro a lot of things. If you want it government mandated then there should be other legislation associated with the change. If abortion was not allowed in this day and age what kind of influx would that have on the country? Who is going to shoulder this burden? Many of these kids will be unwanted. So they could be given up for adoption or unloved and become a burden on society through crime. Not that they would all become unproductive citizens, but it does make your path more difficult. Which is fine if all these pro life people are out there to help these kids. Go adopt a child each so he has love and guidance. Provide quality day care services that are affordable so the parents can work and their kids won't get behind others with more money. Volunteer at these places and give your time with the same passion that you speak against abortion. Improve sex education. But a lot of pro life people are against sex ed and that makes a lot of sense. Every parent is not responsible in teaching their kids how to protect themselves so make it manditory if you want abortion prohibited. When a million more people hit the system you have to have a plan. Push that plan as hard as your other beliefs and maybe it will sound more reasonable to those on the fence or the other side.

So in the end I am a pro choice person. I'd rather mothers choose life but I don't believe it is my place to tell them how to live their life. I would like for their to be a system in place to show them they will have help and can live a full life if not a fuller life after having the child.

No comments: