Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bail me out please!

Ain’t this grand? Years of profiting and bad business practice with no oversight, not a problem. Uncle Sam to the rescue! What about my bad choices and investments? Am I going to get a cut? Oh, and since I have made a way to pay my mortgages (God really made the way but you get the point I hope) I don’t get bailed out of that. I should have not paid my loan for a few months and then I could refinance at a nice rate.

This whole thing bothers me more and more every time that I hear about it. Neither of my candidates for president at the time took a different side to the issue. With all the out cry from citizens (For the people, by the people? Oh yeah Abe.) against the bail out the senators still passed the bill. And this was only done after they added other money to the bill to appease those who donate to their campaigns or to benefit the area they are from so they can say look what I did for you. This wasn’t about the best interest of the country or about what the country wanted. They had to protect us cause we didn’t understand how this was truly needed. Truly needed? Nothing has changed from what I can tell. Maybe I would have been okay with all of this if there was more stipulation on how the money would be dispersed. But what happened is that they passed a bill to give themselves 700 billion to just spend how they see fit. That is our money they are spending. The oversight committee they wanted – not formed yet. The report on how the spending is going and to where it has gone – not done yet. Anyone surprised? Good old government!

Now everyone wants a cut? Can we blame anyone for trying to get money when the government is giving it out? Auto industry, plumbers, construction, financial sector, etc… Just line up and open up your pockets. A country in debt will just pick up more debt and worry about it later. And it’s not even good debt. Wish I could do that.

I don’t want anyone to lose their jobs. But at this point it is already happening. Why support business that has shown itself not able to survive and thrive? As one falls, another will rise. Let the market fix itself. Businesses will be forced to rethink how they do things and improve and jobs will eventually be created again. If you know someone is a wasteful spender and just blows money would you give them money? I guess you can just put faith in the fact that they have learned their lesson and things will be different from now on.

This past election had two candidates. The crisis hits and this is how they react. One, desparate to gain ground in the race, suspends his election to try and swoop in and save the day. The other candidate, comfortably ahead in the polls, sits back and does nothing so that he doesn’t lose ground. Was either looking out for the country? Is that leadership? Now we have a President Elect that I am failing to hear from as Congress (which he happens to be apart of) decides on whether or not to spend more money. I am not sure why this is, but it doesn’t make sense to me. At least it does not in any good way. So if these things work or don’t work in helping the country can we blame or credit our new President? By saying little or nothing it seems he leaves himself all possible options. All I know is, if I have a contract on a home I’m not going to sit back and let them do all kinds of changes on the home before I move in.

No comments: