Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Political Cherry

I've been trying to become more informed about politics and news in general for years now. This past year or so I have really begun to pay attention. What I have found is that it is what I expected and somewhat dissapointing at the same time. For some reason it interests me now though. I'll chalk that one up to age.

What I found this past year is that politics isn't all that different from a high school election. A lot of it is based on popularity. How many posters you have or how often they see you. How many calls to people you can make or what promises you can make. Basically there isn't much substance behind what they give you. It is like a beauty contest. Some people just vote for their team, republican or democrat. This voting along party lines thing I don't understand. Just vote for who you think is the best. But like someone told me, it is like rooting for your favorite team no matter if they are the best that year or not.

I've known this for a while, but the contests that we should be more educated on are the ones that we tend to ignore, the local elections. Those affect are lives a lot more directly than the presidential election, but we know far less about those people running.

So now that the empty slogans are done, I can get back to just keeping up with what our new president will actually do. This country is in a bad time right now so I don't think I will be turning my head away from the news anytime soon. Next time elections come around I want to be fully educated on what these politicians have done. So though I may be weary of all the political games I am determined to stay informed. Who knows, one day I may run for office! But then again I don't know if I want my skeletons coming back out. It's like a graveyard back there.

No comments: