Saturday, November 22, 2008

Political Slaves

Why is it that blacks vote so heavily democrat? This is something I have wondered for a while. I started voting that way because that is what mom and many people around me did. But there was no real reason for my voting that way. Someone asked me this question the other day and the only reason I can think of is based on the social programs and sympathizing to black issues by democrats (Whatever today’s black issues are). If it has to do with social issues, I sure hope not. Stop looking for help and handouts. Teach a man to fish, he eats on his own forever. Keep feeding a man and he continues to need your help to eat. So maybe this is a good way to keep blacks down. Help people help themselves.

Historically speaking, republicans were on the forefront of civil rights. The democrats fought integration. That governor in AL, Wallace? He was a democrat. Mr. King Jr. was a republican. Now right around the time he went on to glory, blacks started voting heavily democrat beginning really with the 64 election of Johnson. The republican candidate (Goldwater) failed to sign the civil rights act of 64 which probably is the reason things happened the way they did. Of course he gave some reason about why he didn’t sign the bill the same way politicians do today, but whatever his reasoning I think that started the trend we see today. Obama being considered black, which I still don’t understand completely, and getting 96% of the vote including mine does make sense. But giving our loyalty to a party so greatly consistently?

I thought blacks were a diverse group of people, but our voting does not seem to reflect this. No other race is so heavily one sided (at least that I know of). Some will say that Catholics or Gays give their votes heavily to either party, but that is not the same. Those aren’t diverse groups. They are groups that share similar plights, issues or beliefs. So then the question is, do we still have the same struggle throughout? I mean what do we share? That we are black and the world is against us? We need social help to get out of our situations? Slavery affects us still and is the cause of our problems today? Yet we are not all poor. Blacks probably are some of the most religious people percentage wise, yet the party associated with that ideology gets very little of our vote.

I can’t say there is anything wrong with this, except that our vote and needs don’t need to be catered to. Why would they when they know the black vote is a given? I just don’t understand this fact. The popular vote is always ~50% to both sides, so most other sectors must vote more evenly between the parties. It is just hard for me to imagine that a diverse people would not vary more on how they believe the country should be run; one way no more right or wrong than the other.


If someone has the answer or why they think things are so, please let me know.

No comments: